Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine; Amphetamine Aspartate
Drug Usage Statistics, United States, 2008 - 2018
ClinCalc.com » Pharmacy » ClinCalc DrugStats » Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine; Amphetamine Aspartate
Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine; Amphetamine Aspartate Summary for 2018
|Top drug rank
||#24 ( 3)
|Estimated number of prescriptions in the United States (2018)
|Estimated number of patients in the United States (2018)
|Average total drug cost (USD)
|Per day of therapy
|Average out-of-pocket cost (USD)
|Per day of therapy
Total Prescriptions and Patients Per Year (2008 - 2018)
Rank of Top Drugs Over Time
"Rank" refers to the frequency that a given medication is prescribed within a calendar year compared to all other medications. A rank of "4" would indicate that the medication was the fourth most commonly prescribed medication.
|Year ||Rank ||Change|
|Year ||Rank ||Change|
Drug Cost Over Time (2008 - 2018)
- Cost Per Prescription Fill: Average cost per filled prescription regardless of how many days of therapy the prescription is filled for (e.g. 10 days, 30 days, 90 days, etc.)
- Cost per Day of Therapy: The average cost per prescription fill divided by the days of therapy. For example, a 10-day antibiotic course costing $30 would be $3 per day. Similarly, a 30-day supply of an oral antihypetensive costing $30 would be $1 per day.
- Total cost: The average total cost of the medication including the out-of-pocket cost (see below) plus the amount paid by other parties (Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, Veterans Administration, TRICARE, other state/federal sources, Worker's compensation, and other miscellaneous sources)
- Out-of-pocket cost: The average payment made by the patient which may include deductibles, coinsurance, copayments, or the cash price paid without insurance coverage.
Cost Per Prescription Fill (USD)
Cost Per Day of Therapy (USD/day)
NADAC (National Average Drug Acquisition Cost)
NADAC is the approximate cost of a medication that pharmacies (not patients) pay for a medication in the United States. Cost data is obtained via monthly surveys of community pharmacies. NADAC pricing is considered a more accurate alternative than average wholesale price (AWP). For more information, see NADAC (from Data.Medicaid.gov) or the NADAC data explorer.
NADAC prices vary by NDC (national drug code number), manufacturer, quanity of medication per bottle, and many other factors. The cost data displayed below represents the average pharmacy acquisition cost over the past 90 days.
||Avg NADAC Price
Distribution of Dispensed Dosage Forms (2018)
|Dosage Form ||Strength ||% of Dispensed Products
|Tablet/capsule ||10 mg ||45.9%|
|Tablet/capsule ||20 mg ||32.4%|
|Tablet/capsule ||15 mg ||9.5%|
|Other, unspecified, or misc. ||12.2%|
Distribution of Days Supplied (2018)
"Days supply" is defined as the number of days that a prescription should last. For example, a prescription of 60 tablets that is taken twice daily has a day supply of 30 days.
|Drug Name ||Total Prescriptions (2018)
|Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine; Amphetamine Aspartate (this drug)
Drug synonyms are used during the sanitation and standardization process of "cleaning" the original data source (MEPS). Occassionally, brand names may be listed below that are no longer on the market or are very infrequently used.
Brand Name Synonyms
- Adderall 10
- Adderall 12.5
- Adderall 15
- Adderall 20
- Adderall 30
- Adderall 5
- Adderall 7.5
- Adderall XR 10
- Adderall XR 15
- Adderall XR 20
- Adderall XR 25
- Adderall XR 30
- Adderall XR 5
- Dextroamp Saccharate, Amp Aspartate, Dextroamp Sulfate And Amp Sulfate
- Dextroamp Saccharate,Amp Aspartate,Dextroamp Sulfate And Amp Sulfate
Generic Drug Synonyms and Salts
- Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate; Amphetamine Sulfate; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
- Amphetamine Aspartate; Amphetamine Sulfate; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
- Amphetamine Aspartate; Amphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Dextroamphetamine
- Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate; Dextroamphetamine Sulfate; Amphetamine Sulfate
- Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate; Dextroamphetamine Sulfate; Amphetamine Sulfate
- Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate; Dextroamphetamine; Amphetamine
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate; Amphetamine Sulfate
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate; Amphetamine Sulfate
- Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine Aspartate; Amphetamine
- Dextroamphetamine; Dextroamphetamine Saccharate; Amphetamine; Amphetamine Aspartate
FDA Approval Information
|Established Pharmacologic Class (EPC): ||Central Nervous System Stimulant
|Initial FDA approval date: ||2/13/1996
|First FDA applicant: ||Discn
|First dosage form: ||Tablet (oral)
Prescription data source: Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) 2008-2018. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Rockville, MD. ClinCalc DrugStats Database version 21.2. Read more about the ClinCalc DrugStats database.
All ClinCalc DrugStats figures and graphs on this page are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0).